About Sioux Falls Parks
City of Sioux Falls
Sioux Falls is the largest city in South Dakota located in the heart of America. Regionally positioned, Sioux Falls is a community that offers a welcoming atmosphere, vibrant downtown, big-city entertainment, and small-town hospitality. The City of Sioux Falls, South Dakota also provides a comprehensive Parks and Recreation system that greatly contributes to the quality of life in Sioux Falls and surrounding areas.
Department of Parks and Recreation
Parks and Recreation is responsible for maintaining public open spaces and for providing a quality system of parks and recreation facilities and positive leisure opportunities available to all persons in the community.
The Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation system consists of 3,190 acres of parkland, made up of 80 parks, 12 undeveloped sites, 5 community centers, 4 enlarged gymnasiums, 3 support sites, 3 golf courses, 6 ice rinks, 5 outdoor pools, one indoor aquatic center, and more than 29 miles of paved, off-street recreational trails. Additionally, Parks and Recreation partners with third parties to manage the following: The Great Plains Zoo & Delbridge Museum of Natural History, Great Bear Recreation Park, Mary Jo Wegner and East Sioux Fall Historic Site, Falls Overlook Café, and the three municipal golf courses.
Since 2010, Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation has been accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Parks and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA), which recognizes park and recreation agencies for excellence in operation and service.
To provide a quality system of parks and recreation facilities and positive leisure opportunities that are available to all persons in the community.
To provide a comprehensive mix of high-quality parks and recreation programs, facilities, and services that contribute to a quality of life that is unparalleled in the region.
- Engagement: We promote a culture if interactive participation and authentic, respectful communication.
- Collaboration: We believe in cultivating partnerships to maximize the quality of the parks and recreation system.
- Resilience: WE accomplish our goals by developing a resilient, committed workforce that can adapt and thrive.
- Continuous Improvement: We focus on innovation to continuously improve our programs, facilities and services.
- Excellence: We are passionate about the delivery of exceptional experiences in every aspect of our work to fulfill our mission and vision.